May 25, 2020
Return or repay a payment Emergency Student Benefit (CESB)
Why you would send the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) back
You must return or repay the CESB if you:
- are able to find work and are earning more than $1,000 (before taxes) during an eligibility period you’ve applied for
- applied for CESB and later found that you are not eligible
- received more than what you are entitled to
Impact on your taxes
- The CESB is taxable. This means you will need to report any amounts you received from the CESB on next year’s income tax return.
- You will receive a T4A tax slip for the amount of CESB you receive. The tax slip will also be available in your CRA My Account for the 2020 tax year.
- If you repay the CESB before December 31, 2020, the CRA won't include the amount you’ve repaid on your T4A slip.
How to return or repay the CESB
- You can return or repay your CESB payment online or by mail.