2017 Canadian Parks Conference
Tłı̨chǫ Government Staff attended the 2017 Canadian Parks Conference: Parks, Protected Areas, Open Spaces and Public Places in Banff, Alberta from March 8-11, 2017.
The conference included six keynote speakers, over 45 breakout sessions, and pre-conference workshops and tours. This was an opportunity for professional development, networking and storytelling recognizes the need for practical solutions in the midst of increasing complexity.
Tłı̨chǫ Government staff attended the conference with the Northwest Territories (NWT) delegation comprised of:
- Lillith Brook (Manager, Conservation Planning, ENR, GNWT),
- Gina Bayha (Tsá Tué International Biosphere Reserve),
- Jess Dunkin (NWT Parks and Recreation Association),
- Larry Innes, (Dehcho K'ehodi Stewardship Program),
- David Livingstone (Tsá Tué International Biosphere Reserve),
- Giselle Marion (Tłı̨chǫ Government),
- Steven Nitah (Thaidene Nëné),
- Tara Tompkins (Manager of Parks Operations, ITI, GNWT), and
- Sjoerd van der Wielen ((Tłı̨chǫ Government).
Some members of the NWT delegation also facilitated a session entitled Healthy Land, Healthy People: Empowering Indigenous Leadership in Northern Conservation Network Planning.
Giselle Marion, and Sjoerd van der Wielen covered the Tłı̨chǫ Government and Government of the Northwest Territories collaboration on the establishment of Dinàgà Wek'èhodì.
For more information, please contact:
Sjoerd van der Wielen,
Lands Protection Manager
Tłı̨chǫ Ndek'àowo / Tłı̨chǫ Government
Phone: (867) 392-6381 ext 1351