Intergovernmental Meeting Between Tłı̨chǫ Government and GNWT
YELLOWKNIFE, NT (May 5, 2023) – Tłı̨chǫ Government Grand Chief Jackson Lafferty, Chief Clifford Daniels, Chief Doreen Arrowmaker, Chief Adeline Football, and Chief Alfonz Nitsiza met with Premier Caroline Cochrane, Minister R.J. Simpson, Minister Shane Thompson, Minister Caroline Wawzonek, Minister Julie Green, and Minister Paulie Chinna on Friday, May 5, 2023, in Yellowknife, NT. Monfwi MLA Jane Weyallon Armstrong was also in attendance.
The meeting focused on areas of mutual interest, including:
- Working together on public health;
- Addressing mental health and addictions, including a commitment for interim funding to allow Tłı̨chǫ citizens to access addiction services at Poundmakers Lodge;
- A commitment to work together on renewing the Tłı̨chǫ Intergovernmental Services Agreement;
- Working together to implement the Tłı̨chǫ Agreement, including the Tłı̨chǫ exercise of jurisdictions;
- Supporting economic development and working together on the Regional Strategic Assessment and the Slave Geological Province Corridor Project; and
- Working together, sharing information, and providing updates on the management of the Bathurst and Bluenose-East barren-ground caribou herd.
By working in collaboration, the two governments have been able to address important issues impacting Tłı̨chǫ citizens.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the Tłı̨chǫ Government and the Government of the Northwest Territories.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet at least twice per year.
- The Working Together: Tłı̨chǫ Government/GNWT Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding was signed in June 2012 and was renewed twice to date.
For more information, contact:
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9140 ext. 11091
Communication & Media Relations