Intergovernmental Meeting between Tłı̨chǫ Government and GNWT
BEHCHOKǪ̀, NT (April 19, 2021) – Premier Caroline Cochrane, Minister Diane Archie, Minister R.J. Simpson, Minister Shane Thompson, Minister Caroline Wawzonek, Minister Julie Green, and Minister Paulie Chinna met with the Tłı̨chǫ Government Grand Chief George Mackenzie, , Chief Charlie Football, and Chief Alfonz Nitsiza on April 19, 2021 in Behchokǫ̀, NT, along with MLA Jackson Lafferty.
The meeting focused on areas of mutual interest, including:
- continuing to strengthen government-to-government collaboration on key initiatives;
- maximizing housing opportunities, including funding opportunities;
- improving road access to Gamètı̀;
- policing in Tłı̨chǫ communities; and
- continuing to work in partnership on barren-ground caribou and boreal caribou management.
By working in collaboration, the two governments have been able to address important issues impacting Tłı̨chǫ citizens.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the Tłı̨chǫ Government and the Government of the Northwest Territories.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet at least twice per year.
- The Working Together: Tłı̨chǫ Government/GNWT Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding was initially signed in June 2012 and was renewed in 2014 and most recently in December 2018 for a four-year term.
For more information, contact:
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9140 ext. 11091
Director (Interim), Department of Planning and Partnerships