October 12, 2017
9th Intergovernmental Meeting between Tłı̨chǫ Government & GNWT
YELLOWKNIFE (October 12, 2017) – Premier Bob McLeod, Minister Wally Schumann, Minister Robert C. McLeod, Minister Caroline Cochrane, Minister Alfred Moses and Minister Louis Sebert met with the Tłı̨chǫ Government, Grand Chief George Mackenzie, Chief Clifford Daniels, Chief David Wedawin, Chief Charlie Football and Chief Alfonz Nitsiza in Yellowknife on Wednesday.
This was the ninth meeting of the Tłı̨chǫ Government and Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) since they initially signed the Working Together Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in October 2014.
The meeting focused on areas of mutual interest, including:
- Arctic Policy Framework/Pan Territorial Sustainable Development Vision
- Recognition of Priority Discussion Items and Importance of the Tłı̨chǫ Government -Government of the Northwest Territories Leadership Meetings
- Federal Territorial Provincial Meetings
- Dinàgà Wek’èhodì
- Tłı̨chǫ All-Season Road
- Transportation Infrastructure in Behchokǫ̀ Area
- Official Languages Agreement & Funding for Aboriginal Governments
- Small Community Employment Program
- Housing Crisis in Tłı̨chǫ Communities
- Dogrib Area Community Futures
- Cabinet Open House
- Climate Change
Premier McLeod and Grand Chief George Mackenzie agreed that the intergovernmental meeting was an excellent opportunity to discuss issues that impact the Tłı̨chǫ with the leaders who can bring about change.
- Strengthening relationships with Indigenous governments is a priority of the 18th Legislative Assembly.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the Tłı̨chǫ Government and the GNWT.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet at least twice per year.
For more information, contact:
Media and Communications Coordinator
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9140 ext. 11092
Sr. Advisor, Sustainability and Resource Management